Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Expectations

Expectations can be a bitch. And no matter how hard you try not to expect, you always end up expecting nevertheless.

I don't really know what I was expecting for Mother's Day but I know I was expecting something. And I know I was somewhat disappointed with what happened on that day.

First off, my hubby went out of town the night before for a friend's birthday. Because of mix-ups and misunderstandings, I got left behind. I guess after the initial wave of disappointment, I wasn't too upset at the prospect of some 'me' time at home. But then he got home late the next day. He was supposed to be back by lunch time. This would have been ok. We would have had the afternoon to do some things together. However, he got home at 6pm leaving no time to do anything normal. Meaning, for the leftover time of the day, we would have had to go to dinner or a bar and that was a bit out of budget. Plus, because the trip back was so long and bumpy, he was exhausted when he got home. So exhausted in fact that he was literally falling asleep on the couch the first hour he was back. And so what I got was a breathless "Happy Mother's Day" when he arrived, and a whispered "Happy Mother's Day" before he drifted off to sleep.

On a positive note though, my nieces-in-law made a special mom's day dinner and my son gave me a tiny flower which he picked from one of the plants in our garden. Thank goodness for simple pleasures....and food.

So, I am making a promise to myself not to expect anything for my birthday so I don't end up getting disappointed if i don't get what I want. Wish me luck!!

No comments: