Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Expectations

A friend of mine told me some time ago that my expectations are too high. He told me that it was impossible to live up to them, and anyone who tried ended up feeling like crap after because they would surely fall short. This friend told me this more than 10 years ago now and since then I have been on this continuous quest to make my expectations reachable. Of late though, I've been wondering if they are getting too low and if it is worth it to even have expectations when they are close to scraping the bottom of a moss-covered sea bed.

I don't really think it is too much to ask to expect a certain sense of loyalty and priority from people you consider your friends, even those not of the closest degree. Oh well, I guess it is too much to ask from some.

Obviously, I am annoyed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Expectations aren't the same as standards, right? Because I'd hate to have to lower my standards. I think people who keep their standards high are those who do the most good in this world. :-)

Expectations, on the other hand, I don't know... hmmm

vicki said...

I suppose you're right. But isn't it tough to have one without the other?