Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kid Friendly Dish

I only discovered the joys of cooking and baking after I got married. I guess it really does make a difference when you have to cook. Anyway, since then I've been experimenting with different recipes for meals and desserts. My son's in the picky eater stage so finding recipes for kids that are easy to cook or bake is something that excites me no end. I saw this recipe on the Oprah website.

Brownies (with Carrot and Spinach)
Created by Jessica Seinfeld
From the book Deceptively DeliciousSM
Makes 12 brownies


Brownies (with Carrot and Spinach) These brownies fool everyone! You won't believe how scrumptious they are (or how good they are for you) until you make them yourself. Just don't serve them warm—it's not until they're completely cool that the spinach flavor totally disappears.

INGREDIENTS
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 3 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 cup carrot puree
  • 1/2 cup spinach puree
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 Tbsp. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 3/4 cup oat flour or all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat an 8" x 8" baking pan with cooking spray.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.

In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.

Whisk in egg whites. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.

Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 bars.

It looks good and easy to make. I think I will try it. I am hoping my son will like it.

2 comments:

Sharon - Pixie Bows said...

mmmm, I am going to have to try that, I have a hard time getting my daughter to eat anything that is not white, brown or pink.

vicki said...

That's tough. I feel you. I tried giving my son the nugget shapes and he's eating that up. Maybe it has something to do with the fun appearance factor.