Monday, August 11, 2008

More Weight Loss Tips

Ok, I've been trying to cut down on my calories, improve my social life, be more active, work, be a good mom, wife, and friend all at the same time and I can say only 1 thing right now: I am hungry!

In the spirit of continuously looking for ways to change my eating lifestyle, I went on the Net and found some helpful tips. When I say helpful, these are real things or activities that apply to me and my life and therefore I can change or control.


For exercising:

There are lots of ways to increase the amount of activity you do. Team sports, racket sports, aerobics classes, running, walking, swimming and cycling will all improve your fitness levels.

Find something you enjoy that's easy for you to do in terms of location and cost. You are then more likely to build it into your routine and continue to exercise, despite inevitably missing the odd session through holidays, family commitments, etc.

  • Get out and about at the weekend. Leave your car on the drive and walk to the shops. Try to incorporate longer walks into outings to the park, coast or countryside and take a picnic so you are in control of what you are going to eat that day. (The picnic part is hard but the longer walks can be done especially in the mall!)

  • Every extra step you take helps. Always use the stairs instead of the lift, or get off the bus a stop before the usual one and walk the rest of the way. (My house is FULL of stairs. This can work. Plus, the commute to work can be extra exercise.)

  • Use commercial breaks between TV-programmes to stand up and do exercise, or consider using an exercise bicycle in the living room while watching your favourite programme. (This is the hardest for me. Often, I just want to sit and watch.)
For Diet:

In terms of weight-loss, you can get your body to use up existing stores of fat by eating less and making healthier choices.

This doesn't mean crash diet (anything less than 1500 calories), which usually ends up with you either getting weaker or giving up in desperation. Quick-fix diets can lead to a yo-yoing effect of drastic weight loss followed by weight gain, resulting in a vicious cycle.

There are no shortcuts to losing weight in a healthy and reasonable way.

Eating 300 to 500 calories less per day should lead to a loss of between one and two pounds per week. This is a realistic target. It may seem slow, but would add up to a weight loss of more than three stone in a year.

Below are ways to reduce calorie intake without having to alter your diet significantly.

  • Replace fizzy drinks and fruit cordials with water. (Not a problem..)

  • Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed. (Still easy)

  • Eat less lunch than usual. For example, make your own sandwich and limit the use of margarine/butter and full-fat mayonnaise (store-bought sandwiches often contain both). (Still on track but self-control is needed here.)

  • Stop taking sugar in tea and coffee. (not do-able. C'mon, gimme some things!)

  • Have smaller portions of the food you enjoy. (OK.)

  • Avoid having a second helping at dinner. (Sniff, sniff. OK.)

  • Cut out unhealthy treats such as confectionary, sugary biscuits and crisps between meals. (This is easy. I am not a sweets fan even if I bake.)

  • Cut down on beer and alcohol. (uhhhhhh.......occasional is cutting down, right?)

All these things will influence your health in a positive way.

Finally, don't be tempted to skip breakfast – or any meal to lose weight. While skipping a meal will reduce your calorie intake for that hour, it will leave you much hungrier later on.


Only 2 more weeks before I can start attending gym classes. I am excited!

(you can find the article here.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried to stop eating three hours before bedtime? They say that works too.

Good luck, Vicki!

vicki said...

I try but I'm not very successful. But you are right. They do say that works. Oh to just have Angelina Jolie's thin-after-giving-birht-to-twins gene or at least her bank account so I can do endless weight loss programs. Sigh.

Avril said...

Since you're counting calories anyway, this might work for you:

http://www.nbrhd.net/CR/CR.htm

Found that some yogis in the States follow this. It's called CRONing.

vicki said...

I will check it out. I can use all the help I can get at this point! Thanks!